The formation of the Fort Garry Horse started with the ambition of Major R.W. Paterson of “A” Squadron, 18th Mounted Rifles, to form a Cavalry Regiment based in Winnipeg. He began correspondence with the Department of Militia and Defence in Ottawa in 1910 and finally received permission to organize the 34th Regiment of Cavalry on 15 April 1912. “A” Squadron, 18th Mounted Rifles provided the necessary personnel.
In 1913, the Regiment consisted of four Squadrons covering the recruiting areas of Stonewall, Teulon and Balmoral (A Sqn), Selkirk (B Sqn), St. Norbert, Niverville and Otterburn (C Sqn), and along the CPR line to Marquette (D Sqn). In the winter of 1912/13 it was decided that the Regiment would be named after the historic Upper Fort Garry in Winnipeg. The full name chosen was The 34th Fort Garry Horse. The badge selected was the gate of the old fort with the motto “FACTA NON VERBA” (Deeds Not Words).
Headquarters were set up in the Carson Dairy Building on Maryland Street and the Regiment attended summer concentration in Sewell Camp (later Camp Hughes) in June 1913 and 1914. The original uniform consisted of a scarlet tunic with yellow facings, khaki breeches with narrow black stripes and brown leather leggings.