1945 – Present: The Militia carries on
In January 1946, The Fort Garry Horse was disbanded as an active Regiment. Lt. Col. G.M. Churchill was given the task of organizing the 10th (Reserve) Armoured Regiment (The Fort Garry Horse). Officers and men who had served in wartime were recruited, and new recruits with no war experience began to trickle in. In time, enough equipment was issued to conduct armoured training in gunnery, driving, communications and maintenance. Summer training continued at Camp Shilo and Wainwright in Alberta.In 1951 the “Panda Squadron” was formed in Calgary made of reservists who had volunteered to serve full time with 27 Brigade in Germany. The Fort Garry Horse members, however, were destined to become First Troop, “A” Squadron of the Lord Strathcona’s Horse, in the Korean War. In 1953, the regiment moved to new quarters at Carpiquet Barracks, a former Air Force training camp. Armoured training continued there until 1958 when they were moved back to Fort Osborne.
In the early sixties, the Militia were given the new role of National Survival in the event of nuclear war. Unit members trained in radiation monitoring and rescue techniques. This type of training failed to be stimulating or challenging and many skilled and experienced tradesmen were lost.
A proud moment in Regimental History occurred on 11 May 1963, when the Guidon was presented to the Regiment by the Lieutenant-Governor in a ceremony at Minto Armouries. A move from Fort Osborne to McGregor Armoury was completed in 1965 and in 1967, the Regiment’s role was again revised to that of a Light Armoured Regiment.
The role of tanks in the regiment’s training decreased until in the early 70’s the Garrys had become a Reconnaissance (RECCE) Regiment using Jeeps with mounted machine-guns and radios as the primary vehicle. The venerable jeep was later replaced by the Volkswagen/Bombardier Iltis, which served for 20 years. The Regiment continues to train troops in the Recce role using the Mercedes G-Wagen and militarized Silverado trucks, along with light and medium support vehicles for supply, command and control.
Many members of the unit have served overseas with NATO forces, on missions in the Middle East and in UN, NATO, and other operations in the Balkans and most recently Afghanistan. In addition to overseas operations, members have been employed in domestic operations such as flood control and forest fire fighting.